When to Register Death
The law requires all deaths (regardless of citizenship) occurring in Singapore to be registered within 24 hours of occurrence.
- Certificate of Cause of Death issued by Doctors or Authorised Officers (i.e. Forensic Death Investigators) from the Ministry of Health
- Deceased’s identification documents (e.g. NRIC or passport) for cancellation
- Informant’s identification documents (e.g. NRIC or passport)
Free of charge
Estimated Processing Time
- 45 minutes at Neighbourhood Police Centres/ Posts.
- 30 minutes at Citizen Services Centre, ICA building.
To register a death:
- The informant must produce the Certificate of Cause of Death and other supporting documents (e.g. the deceased’s NRIC, passport, or citizenship certificate)
- After documents produced are verified, the registration officer will print the Death Certificate.
- The informant must verify the particulars on the Death Certificate, and sign on it.
- The Death Certificate is issued.